Bakes & More   +  yummy

lemon polenta cake

First off, I should apologise for the truly awful pictures in this post. But it's such a good cake - actually it's better than a good cake - that I decided the share anyway.

The main reason that the photographs look so atrocious is because I was trying to cobble together slices from a cake that had completely collapsed. This was, I should stress, no fault of the recipe but merely my own stupidity.
I offered to make the dessert for a family party that my parents were hosting on Saturday night (which I ended up not being able to attend so dessert had to represent me in my absence). I pretty swiftly decided that I was going to make a lemon polenta cake; it worked with the rest of the menu and was gluten-free. Because of the number of people who were coming, I knew that I would have to make multiple cakes (plus one for my boyfriend and I to enjoy for the rest of the weekend) so I woke up early on Saturday ready to hit the kitchen.

The first two cakes emerged from the oven looking rather nice. The polenta gives a wonderful yellow-colour and perfect crunch. As I wanted to re-use the tins for the next two, I had to quickly transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool. This worked fine for the first one using the age-old plate method (place a plate on top of the baking tin, turn it over and wait for the cake to pop out, then place a wire rack over the bottom of the cake and tip it back over). However once one cake was on the wire rack I obviously couldn't turn it over and so I attempted to flip the (hot) cake from the plate to the wire rack with my hands. Even as I started moving it, I knew it was going to end in disaster but I was transfixed as I watched it crumble in front of my eyes.

Onwards and upwards though! I attempted no such cake-gymnastics with the second two and so was able to present my other with three fully-formed cakes as boyfriend and I were left to pick over the remnants of the one that was left behind. And I attempted to take a somewhat passable picture of the one slice that I was able to carve out.
Don't let my stupidity put you off this cake though. It's really quite delicious. It's a fairly well known recipe from the River Cafe in London, the restaurant which launched the careers of, among others, April Bloomfield and Jamie Oliver. The recipe does make for a fairly large cake (it easily serves 12 people and requires a 30cm cake tin although I split the quantities below into two smaller cakes) but it can be halved without any problem.
~Lemon polenta cakeFrom the River Cafe CookbookYield: Serves 12
Ingredients

  • 450g unsalted butter, softened
  • 450g caster sugar
  • 450g ground almonds
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 6 eggs
  • Zest of 5 lemons
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 225g polenta
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder (if you want a gluten free cake)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F. Grease a 30cm tin well.
  2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the ground almonds and continue to beat until combined.
  3. Beat in the eggs one by one.
  4. Fold in the lemon zest, lemon juice, polenta, baking powder and salt.
  5. Pour into the tins and bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.