Bakes & More   +  travel

san francisco & sonoma

We're in the home straight of our holiday now. Since we got back from our trip to San Francisco and Sonoma last Wednesday, our time has been full of lasts rather than firsts.

A last Friday on Abbot Kinney. The last time we go to Hal's for Sunday evening jazz. Our last trip to the fine shops of Santa Monica. Tomorrow will be the last day for the beach and a chance to swim in the ocean before we have to think about heading home.
We had three days and four nights in San Francsico. Our first day was taken up by my boyfriend's fantasy NFL team and so I explored the city by myself. And, let's be honest, I mainly explored Anthropologie and Williams-Sonoma.

Saturday morning however saw us throwing ourselves headfirst into some tourist activities with an open-top (and freezing cold) bus tour of the city and a trip to the wonderful farmers' market in the ferry building before an evening of excellent food courtesy of a recommendation from Kasey (I am planning to do one big food round-up post when we get back home next week and I'll share more details then).

On Sunday we visited the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art which I adored before a pit-stop for fuel in China Town and a trip to Alcatraz.

One of my favourite things about San Francisco was the weather. I loved the glorious blue skies and crisp sea air. And I loved the way that the fog would descend, seemingly from nowhere and blanket the city. It would be gone just as quickly. I can appreciate that it's maybe less enjoyable if you live there and have to actually do things but as a visitor, it was everything I could have asked for.

The fog was particularly atmospheric on our visit to Alcatraz. As the boat left the city, we could see the fog creeping in. In a matter of minutes, it had enveloped our boat and by the time we got to the island, we felt like we were the last people in the world, trapped in this building of shadows and ghosts. I was, it has to be said, a little bit relieved to get back to our hotel room and my gingerbread cupcake from Miette.

And then, before I knew it, we were heading north to Sonoma where we spent a blissful 48 hours drinking wine, eating cheese and lazing by the pool.

Let me tell you, this holiday lark is really not as easy as it looks.