Bakes & More   +  recipe

homemade ricotta

I seem to have been away from this space slightly longer than I anticipated. It was only a week - although it feels much longer than that - but I have a good excuse. You see, we went to Vegas for a few days and everyone knows what happens in Vegas...

Actually, to be honest, nothing much happened in Vegas except I caught a stinking cold and have spent most of the time since we returned on Friday feeling sorry for myself.

I had planned to blog while we were away but every time I opened up my laptop, perched at the window of our hotel room overlooking the Strip, I just couldn't bring myself to write anything.

It felt so incongruous to write about something so real as homemade ricotta in a place so decidedly unreal as Las Vegas. I don't know if I enjoyed it as a city. It is a place where I felt completely disconnected from reality.

I suppose that quality is why quite so many people love Las Vegas. It's a world where it can always be night or always be day if you want. You can go shopping at midnight or order a drink in a bar at 9 in the morning and nobody blinks an eye. It's a world still filled with the haze of cigarette smoke and where canned pop music is constantly playing in the background.

Maybe I wasn't that enamoured by Vegas because I really quite like my life. I don't feel the need to escape anything and being disconnected from my routines and familiar surroundings is not something that I welcome.

But it was an experience. And life is all about experiences.
I've been meaning to make ricotta at home for a while especially after Emma made it. Good ricotta is a very good thing indeed; bad ricotta is enough to put you off for life. When you make ricotta at home, it's good enough to eat simply spread on toast with a scattering of basil or mint and a drizzle of olive oil.
~

Homemade ricotta Source: 101 cookbooks Yield: 150g (about 1 cup) of ricotta

Ingredients

  • 1 litre (4 cups) whole milk
  • 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
  • A pinch of salt

Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the milk, buttermilk and salt in a large saucepan over a low heat, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan. Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth (or, if you're really lazy, several layers of j-cloth).
  2. Once the curds start to come to the surface (ie you get white blobby bits), stop stirring and leave the mixture to reach a temperature of 80C/175F at which point the curds (the blobby bits) and the whey (the mixture left behind) will have separated.
  3. Ladle the curds into the colander, gather the sides of the cheesecloth and allow to drain for 10-15 minutes depending on how thick you want your ricotta (the longer you leave it, the drier it will be).
  4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge if you're not going to use it immediately.