Bakes & More   +  recipe

Lemon curd, yoghurt and granola & foodie pen pals

Another month, another foodie pen pal reveal!

This month I received a parcel from Jess who blogs over at Feeling Stylish.
Jess was actually my foodie pen pal in the first swap we did and it was her parcel to me that sadly went astray. It was utter coincidence that we were matched again but I was really excited to see what she would send me.

I wasn't disappointed. Jess lives in Norfolk and sent me some lovely goodies from the region including some amazing mint chocolate, some East Anglian parsley and some local tea. Also included was a wonderful jar of lemon curd which proved, frankly, to be irresistible.

I knew immediately that I wanted to make something with the lemon curd. Some sort of cake immediately sprang to mind and I started experimenting on Saturday morning. As the recipe became increasingly complex, my enthusiasm began to wane. The essence of the ingredients was getting lost.
I was still thinking about the cake as I absent mindedly made breakfast. My normal breakfast is a couple of tablespoons of plain yoghurt, a drizzle of honey and a scattering of granola. As the jar of lemon curd was open in front of me, I decided to stir some of that through my yogurt instead.
I realised that this was the kind of food that I want to eat more and more.
We used to delight in long evenings spent in expensive restaurants eating complicated food. Not so much these days. Sunday evening, for example, we had a chicken, simply roasted with some rosemary and some sea salt. The leftover potatoes from Satuday night were fried in a little olive oil until they were wearing little crispy jackets. A few roasted green beans was all that we really needed to complete the meal.
This is what food should be about. Simple ingredients, simple flavours.

I love how a good lemon curd can be both mouth-tinglingly tart and overwhelmingly sweet at the same time. Against the background of plain yogurt, the flavours stand out all the more with the crunch from a handful of granola providing some welcome texture. I'm pretty sure you don't actually need a recipe for this as I imagine what I did is fairly self-evident (and you can adjust the quantities as you see fit) but I'll give you one anyway...
~
Lemon curd, yoghurt and granola
Yield: Serves 1
Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
  • 2 teaspoons lemon curd
  • 1 teaspoon granola

Cooking Directions
  1. Layer the yogurt and lemon curd, scatter with the granola.
  2. Eat.