Bakes & More   +  whole wheat

whole wheat buttermilk brownies

I took these pictures a couple of weeks ago when I was at home and every time I look at them, they seem to be suffused with the grey light that I think is so typical of England.

I've been more aware of the light this last week in France than ever before. Normally I'm here in August, towards the end of the summer. This is probably the first time I've ever been here so early in July.
The light has a completely different quality at this time of year. It's brash and abrasive, swaggering into the day like an angry teenager (which is, incidentally, the state to which I have regressed after a week with my parents). The flowers in the garden seem unnaturally bright, like they've been overexposed in a photograph. The light in August seems much more mature, caressing the landscape with its touch and laying lazily on the ground.

I won't be here to see the August light this year. Although it is for very good reasons and come August, none of this will matter, I can't help but feel that my summer here is drawing to a close before it should and that my return to London is somewhat premature.
I am consoling myself with the thought that there will always be next summer. I know the light will be waiting for me to come back home.

I've made a version of these brownies once before. I've never met a recipe that uses a whole container of buttermilk (or sour cream) without leaving a little at the bottom. These brownies only require a couple of tablespoons and so are rather useful in those circumstances although that is by far from being their only redeeming quality. The addition of the buttermilk, or the sour cream that the original recipe calls for, adds a slightly different flavour and texture to these brownies. It works particularly well with the whole wheat to produce a brownie that is satisfying without being heavy.

~
Whole wheat buttermilk brownies Adapted from sour cream & spice brownies in Brownies by Linda Collister Yield: 16 brownies

Ingredients

  • 250g (10 oz) dark chocolate (at least 70% if not more)
  • 100g unsalted butter
  • 4 large eggs
  • 180g (1 cup) unrefined light brown sugar
  • 100g (1 cup) whole wheat flour
  • 3 tablespoons buttermilk

Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease a 23cm square baking tin (and line it with paper if you decide you want to take a picture of them in situ).
  2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave on a low heat, stirring frequently or melt in a bowl over some simmering water. When melted, put aside to cool.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. This takes about 10 minutes.
  4. 4. Stir in the chocolate mixture and sift in the flour. Mix until just combined.
  5. 5. Finally fold in the buttermilk.
  6. 6. Transfer to the baking tin and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. 7. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.