Bakes & More   +  yummy

gluten free chocolate and macadamia brownies

In a moment of cake-based generosity, I offered to help with the catering for a lunch party that my parents were hosting for some friends a couple of weekends ago. After a brief discussion, we decided that I would make some flourless chocolate brownies to be served with ginger ice cream and summer berries. Sounds pretty simple right?

Man, I was wrong.

As I hadn't made the recipe before, I decided that rather than just double the ingredients to get enough brownies for all the guests, I would make it twice. Actually for reasons that now, in hindsight, escape me, I decided to make it three times on the basis that my boyfriend could take any extra to his mother who is, like my father, a coeliac and would appreciate some gluten free treats.

I awoke early on the Saturday, full of enthusiasm for the day, for the weekend, for these brownies. While my boyfriend lay slumbering, I set to work melting my chocolate, grinding up my macadamia nuts and greasing my cake tin.

The first one came together rather nicely. Into the oven it went. Is there anything better than the smell of chocolate brownies baking on a Saturday morning? I can't think of one. After 20 minutes, out it came. It was, admittedly, a little on the wobbly side but I made the executive decision that it would be fine not least because I still had two more cakes to make that morning. I was using a round spring form cake tin which I released and, using oven gloves naturally, I removed the brownies and the base of the tin from the outer ring. And then, in my haste to ensure that I didn't burn myself, I dropped the whole thing. It went everywhere. The hob, the sink, the floor. Everywhere. And it really wasn't cooked. Who'd have thought the old man had so much batter in him? (Or some less-mangled Shakespearean quotation).

I did what every self-respecting girl would do in this situation - I went to wake my boyfriend up and wail that I had ruined the brownies. He gallantly came to the rescue and cleaned up the mess while I had a small sulk on the sofa. Then I pulled myself together and started on the second batch.

I am so glad that I persevered though because these brownies are pretty spectacular. They are rich with chocolate and perfectly dense and fudgy. They are a perfect example of how baking without flour can produce superior results to baking with flour. I defy anyone not to love these brownies whether they have to follow a gluten free diet or not.

And do you know what? After all that, we didn't even finish one lot of the brownies at the party.

Gluten free chocolate and macadamia brownies (makes approx 20)
Recipe from Sally Williams and featured in The Telegraph

300g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa, preferably higher)
200g unsalted butter
4 eggs
200g caster sugar
30g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
60g whole macadamia nuts ground in a blender

1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 22cm square tin.
2. In a bowl over a pan of simmering water, slowly melt the chocolate and butter. Make sure that the bowl doesn't touch the water. When melted, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until lightly and fluffy. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well. Sift the cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda and add the ground macadamia nuts and fold until combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 20-30 minutes. The brownies should still be moist but should be set in the middle; if you stick a toothpick in, it won't come out clean but it won't have any raw batter on it.
5. Allow the brownie to cool before transferring to a wire rack and cutting into pieces.