Bakes & More   +  yummy

passion fruit and yogurt muffins

I like cake for breakfast. I like cake at any time really but especially for breakfast. I have already extolled the virtues of a bowlful of vanilla yogurt and the flesh of a couple of passion fruits on this blog. I would eat it for breakfast but it just doesn't have that carb hit that I want first thing. So I decided to turn the passion fruit/vanilla yogurt combination into a muffin thus satisfying my need for cake.

I actually made a couple of variations on the recipe before I got to one that I was happy with. I tried substituting some wholemeal flour for half of the plain flour. There is a place in the world for wholemeal flour but it's not in these muffins. I did actually make half of that batch without sugar which I'm going to pretend was deliberate. Yeah, that didn't work so well. Plain flour is the way forward (as is sugar but you could probably work that much out yourself).

I also experimented with how to get the most bang for your buck passion fruit wise. My conclusion was that you really need to just bung the whole lot in there, seeds and all. If you try to just use the juice or the flesh or remove the seeds, you end up having to use double the number of fruit to get the same flavour. And I like the extra texture that they give the muffins. I'm going to tell myself that they're good for the digestive system.

The yogurt keeps these beauties super moist and they sing with the flavour of passion fruit. The white chocolate chips were an unnecessary addition but one that I couldn't resist. It also probably undermined any attempt to make these healthy but nevermind.

Passion fruit and yogurt muffins (makes 12)
230g plain flour
225g caster sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of sida
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
60g unsalted butter, at room temperatire
200g low-fat vanilla yogurt
8 whole passion fruit
100g white chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 180oC. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, beat together the egg, the butter and the yogurt.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Add the flesh of 8 passion fruits and the chocolate chips and stir. Don't over-mix otherwise the batter will be too heavy.
5. Pour the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.