Bakes & More   +  recipe

Orange and ginger muffins

Welcome to another post in my infrequent series tentatively titled 'I really need to make sure that I'm not eating crap first thing in the morning and therefore I'm going to bake lots of things involving whole wheat and good stuff like that to try and get the day started off right'.

I think it might need a snappier title?
The prompt for this attack of health consciousness is the fact that we've booked our flights for our summer adventure to California. Having talked about having a slightly extended break from work for a while, all of a sudden it has become a concrete reality.

The countdown on my phone tells me that in exactly 146 days, we will be jetting off for a brief stay in New York before we have four weeks exploring the west coast. We've even sorted out a hire car (a convertible obviously) for the duration of our trip. I'm hoping that the fact that so many of the costs are being incurred now will mean that the financial impact of our trip won't be too much of a shock to the system but I fear this may be wishful thinking...
Not only do I have 146 days to save a substantial shopping budget but I also have 146 days to make sure that I'm in tip top shape. I want to enjoy every moment of our trip and I think the best way to do that is to make sure that I'm as healthy and happy as possible before I've even stepped foot on the plane.

Plus there may well be a bikini involved somewhere in the trip and I'm not sure the world is ready for my beached whale impersonation, no matter how impressively realistic it may be.
I tend to not think too much about what I'm eating in the morning. I have to have something because I take some medication that does not make me happy when taken on an empty stomach but I normally just grab whatever I can find lurking in the bread bin. I know I feel better though when I've had something proper and that doesn't contain my daily intake of sugar.
These muffins feel substantial enough to keep me full (thank you whole wheat flour!) and are sweet enough from the agave nectar and orange zest to make me happy first thing. The kick of ginger is just an added bonus. They should rise a bit more than the pictures demonstrate.I was right at the end of my tub of baking powder and so I couldn't be bothered to go out and buy some more. It was raining and I'd just straightened my hair. I'm sure you understand.
~
Orange and ginger muffins Yield: 12 muffins Adapted from my whole wheat chocolate chip muffins
Ingredients

  • 120g unsalted butter, softened
  • 180ml light agave nectar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 2 large eggs
  • 100ml skimmed milk
  • 240g whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • Zest of 2 large oranges

Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
  2. Beat together the butter and agave nectar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until smooth.
  3. Fold in all the other ingredients and fold until just combined. Do not overmix.
  4. Divide the batter between the paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.